|Postcard from Jane|
Recently I have been doing some serious playing. Well, there's no point playing if you're not going to do it seriously, is there? Let me start by explaining why I've been spending time playing.
|Postcards from Sheila and Irene|
At the end of last year I received handmade postcards from several members of the Be Creative group that I belong to. They had decided to send me some postcards because of the health problems I was having. I had no idea that I had been chosen until the cards began to arrive: it gave me such a thrill to know that they wanted to send them to me! All of the postcards were beautiful and graced our mantle shelf until just a couple of weeks ago.
|Postcard from Liz|
|Postcards from Wendy and Jan|
In fact, they are so beautiful that I decided they needed to be stored in a special box: the trouble was, I didn't have a special box! "Aha!" thought I, " I'll make one". I had seen a photograph of an exquisite box posted on Facebook by one of the group members which was what had gave me the idea. The next step was to figure out how to make something even vaguely similar.
|Bits and pieces to play with|
I must stress, at this stage, that I have no real idea of how to achieve what I am after. It has taken me since the beginning of the year to figure out how to event start, but start I have. I knew that I needed to create some sort of material or fabric that I could use to form the outside of the box and that I wanted to burn some of the fabrics that made up that material.
|More bits and pieces|
|Starting to cover the fabric|
The first step was to cover the backing fabric with torn pieces of the papers. The main colours I was using were blues, reds and purples, but I wasn't restricting myself to only those: I knew I needed to add some flashes of contrast. I used small dabs of stick glue on the reverse of the papers so that they would hold in place.
|The first layer is complete|
|The lightly-stitched second layer|
The next stage involved added a third layer of scraps, again, just roughly covering what was already in place. I added another layer of organza and took it to the sewing machine.
|My completed first piece|
This time I stippled the fabric closely all over. As you can see organza plus the stippling has muted the pieces beneath which, I think, helps to blend everything into one visually cohesive fabric. Another benefit of the close stippling was to create a reasonably firm material to use in the creation of a box.
In Part Two I will tell you more about this piece and those that followed.